Conveniently located in the heart of central Maryland, between Baltimore and Washington, Howard County offers the charm of a historic past mixed with the excitement of a cosmopolitan community.
Living in Howard County
- Howard County is one of Maryland’s fastest-growing regions. Its population has increased by 34% over the past decade, and is projected to grow to nearly 325,000 by 2030.
- Howard County is one of the most affluent communities in the United States, with the 3rd highest median income among counties in the U.S, according to the Census Bureau’s 2006 American Community Survey.
- The area surrounding Ellicott City and Columbia was recently named among the "Top 5 Most Desirable Places to Live in America" by CNN and Money magazine. Columbia, a 14,000 acre master-planned community developed in 1967, is comprised of ten villages and 96,000 residents.
Learning in Howard County
- Howard County Public School System was ranked No. 1 in the state of Maryland for eight of the past 10 years. Howard County students score above the national averages on standardized tests and more than 90% of graduates continue their education beyond high school.
- There are 51 private and academic schools in Howard County, serving pre-K to secondary education students.
- Howard County is home to numerous college and university campuses, including historic Morehouse and Loyola College, as well as Johns Hopkins Columbia Center campus.
Working in Howard County
- Because of its strategic location at the center of the Baltimore-Washington corridor, Howard County has a diverse and thriving business base, including large government contractors, numerous corporate and regional headquarters, a wide variety of technology firms, and wholesale distributors and manufacturers.
Relaxing in Howard County
- You’ll find so much variety in the towns of Howard County. From Savage’s old mills that hold antiques and artisan markets, to the many shops and trendy restaurants that give Laurel a cosmopolitan feel, there’s literally something for everyone here!
- Spend a day in the great outdoors hiking and biking well-worn trails that wind through foliage and ancient rocks beside the churning Patapsco River…you’ll find the scenery breathtaking in Howard County. And there’s plenty of it to see! Six regional parks, 24 community parks, seven golf courses, five lakes, and over 200 miles of walking, hiking, and biking trails wander through our county.
- Howard County is a great place to play, too! Visit any of our swimming pools, tennis clubs, the ice rink, equestrian center or even our new sports park in Columbia, with miniature golf, batting cages, and skateboard facility! It’s no wonder Sports Illustrated voted Howard County "The Best Hometown in America" for sports.
Sound appealing? Bring your career to a UMMS facility in Howard County.
Other Useful Links
Howard County Government Homepage
Howard County Community Site
Howard County Chamber of Commerce